A number of leisure cycles will be held over the spring and summer months. This is being done on a trial basis to see if there is enough interest to continue more permanently. A trip to cycle the Dungarvan-Waterford greenway is planned by Paddy Bourke for Sunday, June 11, so it would be no harm to get plenty practice in for that. The Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir cycle track will also be fully open soon.
The following suggestions have been made by club members.
- Participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own actions and their own safety.
- All cycles should be leisure events with no racing or time trials.
- No need for any lycra cycling gear but some high visibility clothing should be worn.
- Cycle helmets are essential and lighting on bicycles is advised.
- Tuesday evenings have been suggested as a suitable time, possibly starting at 7pm, but other evenings apart from Wednesday may also be suitable.
- Cycling events should only go ahead in fine weather and would be cancelled if there was a bad weather forecast. It should be possible to make a decision 2 to 3 days in advance.
- The first few events should be relatively short, probably no more than 20km, to facilitate people who haven't cycled for some time. Distances could be increased after a while as the evenings get longer.
- Events could start from different locations to add some variety and allow people to see different places.
- Quiet country roads would be best to use where possible or alternatively roads with a hard shoulder such as the old Cahir to Mitchelstown road.
- Bicycle transport to different locations could be a problem for some people so anyone who can carry more than one bicycle should be willing to help others in their local area.
The next cycle is scheduled to take place on Tuesday May 30, weather permittiing.
Make sure you have a helmet, lights and hi-vis jacket.
Routes completed so far:
April 11, Tipperary, Donaskeagh, 17km
April 18, Tipperary, Dundrum, 26km
April 25, Tipperary, Solohead, Monard, Limerick Junction, 21km
May 2, Tipperary, Rossadrehid, Bansha, 27km
May 9, Tipperary, Donohill, Cappawhite, Solohead, 33km
May 16, Tipperary, Bansha via back roads, Rossadrehid, 30km
May 23, Tipperary, Athassel Abbey, Golden, Knockavilla and Dundrum,39km