Features shown on the map
16. Old Flour Mill.
17. St. Paul's Church of Ireland and School. Built in 1820 to design of John Nash, private architect to King George IV. Rare example of Nash's Gothic Revival style.
18. Cahir Castle: 15th century by Seamus Gallda, son of James Butler.
19. Caves: Short caves in limestone cliff.
20. Swiss Cottage: 'Cottage Orne' built in 1810 for Richard Butler and designed by John Nash. Refurbished in 1985. Open to public ( entry fee ).
21. Rath Ard. Significant rath overlooking Ardfinnan.
22. Church of Ireland: Reputed site of monastery of St. Finnian.
23. Ardfinnan Castle: 1186 by the Earl of Morton. Commanding position overlooking ancient crossing place on the river Suir.
24. Fever Hospital: Ruin - in use during, famine times of 1846/49.
25. Lady's Abbey: Ruin -14/15th century Carmelite Friary.
26. Baile Beacain church: 13th century ruin dedicated to Beacain, local saint. Mediaeval carved font.
27. Na Staighri: Old road used for access to high turf bogs.
28. Liam Lynch monument. Lies 3km to the east along Munster Way. Tall and slender monument modelled on Round Tower to Liam Lynch, Chief of Staff of Republican forces. Shot here in Civil War, 1923.
These pages on St.Declan's Way are provided by Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary