Features shown on the map
Rock of Cashel: Elevated limestone reef which dominates the town of
Cashel. Seat of the Kings of Munster in the 4th to 9th century. Passed
into church control in 1101 by Muircheartach O'Briaina and became both
royal residence and holy ground. St. Cormacs chapel built in 1134 by
Cormac Mac Carthaigh, king-bishop of Cashel. Round Tower in 10th
century. Scene of huge slaughter of c.800 people in 1647. Declined in
importance in the 18th century.
2. Hore Abbey: Benedictine! Cistercian monastery at various times.
4. Church of Ireland Cathedral: 1749. Location of GPA Bolton Library - ancient books and maps collected by Bishop Bolton in the 18th century.
5. Lepers Hospital: site of.
6. Rath na Drinna: Rath of the Blackthorns - large rath.
7. Aonghus Fort: Rath.
8. Marlhill House. Birthplace of Lena Spring Rice, only Irish woman to win ladies singles title at Wimbledon, 1890.
9. Ballygerald Church: ruin.
10. Outragh Castle: site of.
11. Outragh Church: ruin
12. Church ruin.
13. Shortcastle: ruin.
14. Castle Coyne: ruin - large rath also near road.
15. Ballylegan Church: ruin.
16. Old Mill.
17. St. Paul's Church of Ireland and School. Built in 1820 to design of John Nash, private architect to King George IV. Rare example of Nash's Gothic Revival style.
18. Cahir Castle: 15th century by Seamus Gallda, son of James Butler.
These pages on St.Declan's Way are provided by Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary