Cashel to Cahir
From the Rock of Cashel the route follows the Rian Bó Phadraig south. In Patrick Power's description it crosses the N24 three miles east of Cahir but on this map it diverts along the Priest's Road to enter the town of Cahir.
Features shown on the map.
1. Rock of Cashel: Elevated limestone reef which dominates the town of Cashel. Seat of the Kings of Munster in the 4th to 9th century. Passed into church control in 1101 by Muircheartach O'Briaina and became both royal residence and holy ground. St. Cormacs chapel built in 1134 by Cormac Mac Carthaigh, king-bishop of Cashel. Round Tower in 10th century. Scene of huge slaughter of c.800 people in 1647. Declined in importance in the 18th century.
2. Hore Abbey: Benedictine! Cistercian monastery at various times.
4. Church of Ireland Cathedral: 1749. Location of GPA Bolton Library - ancient books and maps collected by Bishop Bolton in the 18th century.
5. Lepers Hospital: site of.
6. Rath na Drinna: Rath of the Blackthorns - large rath.
7. Aonghus Fort: Rath.
8. Marlhill House. Birthplace of Lena Spring Rice, only Irish woman to win ladies singles title at Wimbledon, 1890.
9. Ballygerald Church: ruin.
10. Outragh Castle: site of.
11. Outragh Church: ruin
12. Church ruin.
13. Shortcastle: ruin.
14. Castle Coyne: ruin - large rath also near road.
15. Ballylegan Church: ruin.
Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary