The route shown on the maps on these pages was developed in the 1990s and does not correspond with the route as marked today. New maps will be published shortly and will be posted on this site as soon as they become available.
Cahir to Ardfinnan
The route on the map moves south from Cahir along the bank of the River Suir and rejoins the Rian Bó Phadraig as described by Patrick Power before entering Ardfinnan.
Features shown on the map.
16. Old Mill.
17. St. Paul's Church of Ireland and School. Built in 1820 to design of John Nash, private architect to King George IV. Rare example of Nash's Gothic Revival style.
18. Cahir Castle: 15th century by Seamus Gallda, son of
19. Caves: Short caves in limestone cliff.
20. Swiss Cottage: 'Cottage Orne' built in 1810 for Richard Butler and designed by John Nash. Refurbished in 1985. Open to public ( entry fee ).
21. Rath Ard. Significant rath overlooking Ardfinnan.
22. Church of Ireland: Reputed site of monastery of St. Finnian.
23. Ardfinnan Castle: 1186 by the Earl of Morton. Commanding position overlooking ancient crossing place on the river Suir.
24. Fever Hospital: Ruin - in use during, famine times of 1846/49.
25. Lady's Abbey: Ruin -14/15th century Carmelite Friary.
Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary