Ardfinnan to Lismore 


Moving south from Ardfinnan the route passes Lady's Abbey and crosses the River Tar before the only mountain section over the Knockmeakdowns and the descent to Lismore.
Recent adjustments to the modern route, not shown here, avoid the high climb and instead, skirt the mountain to the east to take in Mount Mellary Abbey.

Features shown on the map.

23. Ardfinnan Castle: 1186 by the Earl of Morton. Commanding position overlooking ancient crossing place on the river Suir.

24. Fever Hospital: Ruin - in use during, famine times of 1846/49.

25. Lady's Abbey: Ruin -14/15th century Carmelite Friary.






26. Baile Beacain church: 13th century ruin dedicated to Beacain, local saint. Mediaeval carved font.























27. Na Staighri: Old road used for access to high turf bogs.


28. Liam Lynch monument. Lies 3km to the east along Munster Way. Tall and slender monument modelled on Round Tower to Liam Lynch, Chief of Staff of Republican forces. Shot here in Civil War, 1923.












29. Seipeal na hUltach: Ruin of ancient church - not visible but marked by stone cairns on roadside.














30. Bearna Cloch an Bhuideil: 'Bottleneck Pass' – high mountain pass of historic importance. Distinctive for miles from a distance. County boundary between Waterford and Tipperary.











































31. Muine na Lobhar: 'Shrubbery of the Lepers' – possible spa for sick people of Lismore and area.
























32. Mill on Blackwater: Lismore Bridge built in 1775.

33. Lismore Castle: Built by Henry II and became seat of bisophric. Sold to Richard Boyle (philosopher/ chemist) in 1602. Lismore Crozier and Book of Lismore found during repairs to castle in 1814 and donated to the National Museum.

34. St. Carthages Cathedral: Monastic site of St.Carthage (631AD) -plundered by Vikings in 9th century and rebuilt in the 12th by Murtagh O'Brien, King of Munster.

35. Round Hill: Wooded hill with motte and bailey built on ruins of ancient lios. Lismore town derives its name from this place – 'Lios Mor' or 'Large Fort'.



Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary