Knocknaskagh to Ardmore


From Knocknaskagh the route follows St. Declan's Road south through Geosh and Cross, fords the River Lickey and crosses the N25. Entering Ardmore it passes St. Declan's Monastery and Round Tower before completing the cliff walk and returning to the town centre.


Features shown on the map.

44. Castle: site of.





45. Fulacht Fia - ancient cooking place. Three sites.

46. Clogh Castle: site of.










































47. St.Declan's Well, Toor. Water is reputed to heal eye diseases. A Pattern is held here each year on 24th July.

48. Souterrains: Tunnels frequently used for cold storage in the past.




























49. Old Mill in Glenlickey.

50. Ath na gCorra Mhiol. Ford with Stepping Stones: One stone is said to bear imprint of St.Declans feet. Ballin, St.Patricks emissary, raised to life here.

51. Tobar na Feirse: Well of the Spindle.

52. Lios Geineain: rath beside track.












53. Old church and graveyard.



54. Tobar na mBan.


55. Lios or Rath: A prominent circular enclosure. The banks are of earth, topped with bushes. These are raths and once contained huts where people and/or animals lived. Raths are seen extensively across the Irish countryside and were in use from c.500 AD to 1500 AD. Irish folklore tradition would call them 'fairy forts' and has it that they are the dwelling places of fairies and leprauchans, therefore not to be interfered with, lest bad luck should strike the despoiler.

56. St. Declan's Monastery: The Beannachan is a tiny church in the graveyard and is the oldest building dating to the 8th century. The cathedral was first built in the 9-10th century and has been enlarged over the years. Unusual carvings on west gable depicting Judgement of Solomon, Adam & Eve and other biblical scenes. The Round Tower is 12th century and at 30 metres high is one of the tallest in Ireland.

57. Father O'Donnells Well. Ancient holy well surrounded by more modern masonry in 1928.

58. Look Out Stations: First and Second World Wars respectively. Older building called 'The Castle'.

59. Wreck: Crane ship - 'Samson' (December 1987).

60. Coastguard Station: Burnt down in Civil War (1922-23).

61. Cave - Old Copper Mine: In cliff below path -do not descend or enter.

62. St. Declans Well: Holy well arched over by masonry with mediaeval figures. Site for annual Pattern Day each 24th July.

63. St. Declan's Stone: Glacial erratic of conglomerate on sea shore. Noted for cure of back ache -crawl underneath. Folklore has it that Declan forgot his bell en route to Ireland and prayed for its recovery. The bell appeared atop a large stone floating on the sea; the stone landed in Ardmore and Declan thus founded his monastery here.

64. St. Declans Catholic Church: Built 1837. On the beach is the location of a crannog man made island. Artifacts from excavation at National Museum. Old lifeboat station.


Galtee Walking Club, Tipperary